After talking to dozens of parents, reading hundreds of reviews, and hours spent watching babies sleep, we can definitively say that the Snuza Hero SE is our favorite breathing monitor. This breathing monitor does everything you want such a device to do, and does it very well. It is just the right size, and has just the right features, all contained within an easy-to-use package. If you are looking for a breathing monitor than you can trust, this is the one for you
What is a baby breathing monitor?
When their child is first born, many parents are very anxious to leave them alone, even to sleep. Even if you are only downstairs, it is hard to fight the urge to go and check on your baby every five minutes. The nightmare scenario is, of course, if your child stops breathing.
Baby breathing monitors help to take some of this anxiety away. They generally clip-on to your child’s clothes or diaper, and monitor their breathing rate.
If this rate becomes too low, or stops altogether, these monitors are designed to alert you, so you can go and check on your little one.
Of course, no baby monitor can replace your own vigilance, but these small devices help you to achieve that peace of mind which is so hard to come by when you have a newborn around!
They can be used in conjunction with other types of monitor, so you can have your high-definition camera running alongside a device which is continually monitoring your child’s breath.
Ultimately, this kind of monitor should be used in addition to carefully watching over your child, and gives you an added layer of security and peace of mind.
So if you are looking for added security, then this kind of monitor is for you!
How we review
We review by listening to real parents. Nothing can beat their real-life experience of using these products, and when asked they are more than happy to divulge all the features and failings of their purchases!
For this review, we collected and read hundreds of product reviews, and talked to the parents who had written them. Sometimes, what a company sells as a feature can in reality become a major annoyance, something which new parents have enough of. And they tell us about these annoyances, at length.
And so all the reviews below, though written by us, are based on real experiences.
Our Top Reviews
Your choice of the top baby monitor is, of course, yours. If you are thinking about buying one, then it’s really worthwhile shopping around.
The latest monitors feature very sensitive sensors, so you can rest assured that they will notice if the worst happens, and alert you. They are also built to last – devices which are designed to clip to your little one will inevitably get chewed and thrown around, so it is nice to know that your expensive breathing monitor will take this punishment!
Beyond this, a key consideration with monitors is their size. Some parents find that clipping a bulky monitor to their child really disturbs their sleep. Of course, some babies will sleep no matter what, but if your little one is a sensitive sleeper, it makes sense to go for the smallest monitor that you can trust.
Beyond these basic differences, each monitor comes with its own features and drawbacks.
So without further ado, here are our favorites!
Editor’s Pick: Snuza Hero SE
In short, the best all-round breathing monitor on the market today. The Snuza Hero SE combines all the best features of other breathing monitors, is just the right size for a mixture of comfort and usability, and is almost indestructible.
The first thing you will notice when you unpack it is the ergonomic design – it seems that Snuza have really thought about what size and shape their monitor should be.
Beyond this, the design quality is excellent, and the monitor feels very strong and solid. This is handy, because anything that spends its life this close to your child really needs to be tough!
What really sets this monitor apart, though, is the vibration feature. If the monitor detects that your child’s breathing rate is dropping, it will automatically vibrate in an attempt to rouse them. After this, if the monitor receives no response from the child, it will sound an audio alarm to make sure you are aware there is a problem.
This extra feature means that you can be doubly sure that your little one is resting safely, and also significantly cuts down on the number of false alarms you receive.
Beyond these features, this monitor has a range of innovative extras which really set it apart from the competition:
- Snuza have really thought about what such a movement monitor is designed to do, and have concentrated on this. When you switch the device on, a gentle clicking sound assures you that the device is working correctly.
- When working, the device has several indicator lights, which will warn you if your little one’s movements are weak or infrequent.
- Perhaps best of all, if the device senses that your child’s movements have stopped, it will automatically vibrate in an attempt to rouse him or her. This is a real advantage of this type of beathingmonitor – because it is in direct contact with your child, it can take immediate action.
- And if the vibrating alarm does not work, the device will then alert you by emitting an audible alarm. This is loud , and can easily be heard throughout the house, unless you live in a castle!
- And, of course, the device is portable.
- In reality, very few. Snuza have managed to combine the best features of the best breathing monitors on the market today, and package them in a device that is well designed and ruggedly built. If you are looking for an all-round breathing monitor which does everything you want it to, then this is the device for you!
Angelcare Video, Movement and Sound Monitor
This is a slightly different device to the other clip-on monitors we are reviewing today. Instead of a small clip, this monitor has a large pressure-sensitive pad which goes underneath your baby’s mattress, and senses them breathing.
Whilst this is a slightly older technology, it has been tried and tested over many years, and offers an excellent level of sensitivity.
And if your child has difficulty sleeping, this type of breathing monitor is perfect. Your little one will not be disturbed by having a clip tucked into their diaper, but instead can sleep freely.
In addition to monitoring your child’s breathing, this device also incorporates video and audio feeds. This is very unusual in a breathing monitor – normally, small clip-on devices are used in conjunction with cameras and audio devices.
Here, everything comes together, and you can see all the information you need from one screen!
In addition, of course, this monitor comes with a load of extra features:
- Angelcare have been developing this type of breathing monitor for quite a few years, and this really shows. The integration here between breathing and movement monitor, video, and audio feeds is great.
- The infrared camera, which is a feature you would normally have to pay a lot more for, is excellent. The camera unit emits an infrared light, which is invisible to both you and baby, but can be easily seen by the special camera. So you can check on your little angel without even turning on the light!
- The LCD touch screen interface is bright, clear, and very easy to use, ranking with the best camera-only baby monitors. What really sets this device apart, though, is the fact that the breathing monitor and video feed are combined in the same unit, so you can check everything is well on just one device.
- And of course, the advantage of this type of device is that it reduces false alarms. If your child quickly wriggles out of clip-on breathing monitors, then using a sensor pas underneath their mattress is probably the way to go!
- This type of device, of course, comes with some disadvantages. It is very bulky in comparison to the clip-on breathing monitors, and can be a hassle to set up. However, this is a small price to pay for the extra sensitivity afforded by this type of breathing monitor.
The focus of this breathing monitor is on portability, and Snuza have managed to pack everything you need from a breathing monitor into an incredibly small package.
This is the smaller brother of the Snuza Hero we reviewed above, and whilst it might not all the extra features of its advanced brethren, it does what it is expected to do very well.
What makes this monitor stand out from the crowd is its size – at a tiny 35g, your baby will hardly notice it is there! And of course, this small size has advantaged for you as well, in that the monitor can be easily taken on holiday, to gran’s house, or to the beach.
In fact, many parents we talked to said that this is a perfect back up breathing monitor, which they use predominantly for traveling. Whilst your child’s room at home might be a nerve center of high-definition cameras and microphones, when traveling all you really need is the basics.
And this monitor delivers that very well, whilst also having a raft of other features:
- Like its big brother, the Snuza Go! Has a very loud alarm, which alerts you if your child’s breathing stops for a period. You can be in the net room, and be sure that you will hear if there are any problems.
- The tiny size of this device means it is perfect for babys who are disturbed by having bulky monitors clipped to them. It also means it will fit easily into a bag or pocket.
- The monitor is also so small it can be used for twins sleeping together, if you buy two!
- Lastly, of course, Snuza’s rugged construction mean that the monitor feels very solid and well-built. Anything that is going to spend this long in close contact with your child needs to be hardy, and this monitor certainly is that!
- As with all monitors of this type, some babies are annoyed by having a monitor clipped to them. In addition, the Snuza Go! does not offer some of the advanced features of other movement monitors, but this is a small price to pay for its portability and ease of use!
MonBaby Breathing and Movement Monitor
Such a great idea, but unfortunately poorly realized!
The idea here is that, like other breathing monitors, you clip a small sensor to your child. MonBaby’s innovation, however, is that this information can then be directly streamed to your smart phone, from where you can see all the information you need on one screen.
Unfortunately, the parents we talked to, whilst impressed by the idea, found that connection problems plagued the device. This is a shame, as the idea is great, and we are sure that within a few years this will be the standard for breathing monitors!
If you are looking for a state of the art breathing monitor, though, this is the one for you!
- The intuitive interface on this monitor means that you can see all the information you want on your smart phone screen, whenever you want.
- The sensor for this device is absolutely tiny, meaning that it will not disturb your little one at all. They will probably not even realize they are being monitored!
- The engineering on show here is truly remarkable. The sensor sends updates to your phone every 5 seconds, meaning that you can be sure the information you are seeing is completely up to date.
- MonBaby should receive full credit for this innovative device. The idea behind it is great, and we are sure that in a few years it will be standard. However, at the moment the connection between device and phone is not good enough, and so we cannot recommend this device.
Our Final Thoughts
So which to choose?
It goes without saying that we, along with medical professionals, recommend getting a breathing monitor, at least for your baby’s first year.
Whilst they can never replace your vigilance, with our hectic modern lives it is difficult to watch over your child 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Breathing monitors like these add an extra level of security, and that all-important peace of mind.
The choice, of course, is yours. But, after reading hundreds of reviews and watching dozens of babies sleep, we would say that the Snuza Hero 5S is the one to go for.
No other monitor offers the value of this one – its compact sensing pads and sleek controls are a joy to set up and use, and the sensitivity of the device means that it really provides peace of mind.
But, most importantly, it does all this whilst not disturbing your child.
The choice, of course, is yours, but if you are looking for the best combination of features and value, this is the one to go for.